hello everyone!
This is my last blog from Geneva! I am very excited because we are leaving tomorrow for India. I think the group is very ready to leave the cold and bad food and get into our homestays.
This week we began our classes. The topics have ranged from climate change to health determinants to the definition of community. I am very excited about the combination of experiential and academic learning and ready to start my case study in India.
On Friday night a large group of us went out to a english pub right near our hostel! It was nice to spend time with the group outside of class and we all danced to a live band that played 70s disco music! It was really fun and the singers reminded me of the Dream Girls and had such good dance moves! The only bad thing was the bar was very smoky and made it hard to breathe. On Saturday we woke up to snow! It was pretty wet but was still very beautiful. I went with a few other girls to explore Geneva and look at a contemporary art musuem. We found a great little cafe and had the best meal I have had in Switzerland (soup and quiche!) The art musuem featured works by Slyvie Flurry who is quite modern and a little crazy in my opinion! It was great to see a little more of the city though. On Sunday I had a typical college student Sunday of laundry and homework. We had a few small papers to write and a lot of reading.
Overall, I really appreciated the opportunities I was given in Geneva to visit not only the WHO and the UN but also local health groups as well. I am really looking forward to going to Bengaluru (which is the more appropriate way to say Bangalore)! We will be staying in a hostel for just 2 days and then we will be moving in with our homestay families. All our homestays are in pairs so I am a bit nervous to see who I will be living with!
Thank you so much for all the emails, comments and letters (thank you Sharon and Terry!) They are really helping me cope with homesickness and I love knowing what is going on in everyones lives.
Again, I must apologize for all the spelling and grammar mistakes. When I have more time on the internet I will try to come back and edit.
I miss you all and hope everything is well.
Love,
Barbara
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
On to India! It's 80 degrees in Bengaluru, I hear. Love you bunches, mom
ReplyDeleteSounds like Switzerland was fun! I hope you have lots of fun in India. I've always wanted to visit there. My family and I will love to hear about the food there too! Safe travels.
ReplyDelete